Through our knowledge of nutrition science, we have remained at the forefront of product development, bringing healthy and convenient spreads to consumers around the world.
Healthy growth & development
BlueBand GoodStart margarine is one of the brands under the group name - Family Brand in Unilever.
Unilever was the first company to commercially produce margarine in 1878, through its founding Dutch company, Margarine Unie, as an affordable alternative to butter.
Brand History in Ghana
BlueBand Margarine was first introduced unto our Ghanaian Market in 1970 with the commissioning of the Margarine plant in May 1970. To date Unilever is the only margarine manufacturing company in Ghana. All other competitor brands are imports.
At introduction BlueBand only had one pack size which was 450g size in tins. This tin was well known on the Ghanaian market and most retailers used the empty cans as measuring cup for the sale of grains.
Currently BlueBand Goodstart comes in three different pack sizes: 450g, 250g and 10g pack sizes. The brand has further been enriched with additional vitamins such as B6, B12, Folic Acid and Niacin to give its consumers a good start to the day.
Unilever is the world’s leading margarine manufacturer. Our products contain high-quality vegetable oils that are a good source of essential fats and vitamins (A, D, E) which we all need to develop and maintain a healthy body and enjoy a lifestyle full of vitality.
Everybody needs fat in his or her diet
Consuming fat does not necessarily make you fat. If you cut out all the fat in your diet, your body will derive energy from carbohydrates or proteins instead. So, without eating fat, you could still be obese and moreover, you would be depriving your body of essential fatty acid which your body cannot produce on its own and the protein it needs t build body cells.
As long as the energy you consume is equal to the energy you expend, you will not become fat! 15 – 30 minutes of physical activity a day is recommended to keep fit and health and to prevent obesity heart disease and diabetes.
Did you know?
- Margarine is made from natural vegetable oil.
- Fats are made up of three types of fatty acid: Saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acid (SAFA,MUFA and PUFA)
- MUFA and PUFA are good fats which are necessary for the proper functioning of your body. SAFA and Trans fats are bad fats which cause heart disease and chronic condition.
- Trans fats are found mainly in dairy products (like butter) and meat. They are formed in processed foods like margarine, during a process called partial hydrogenation.
But don’t worry! Blue Band Goodstart is virtually Trans Fat free (less than 1% of the fat content).
- Children in most African Countries suffer from Vitamin A deficiency.
- Fruits and vegetables are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals and so are fortified foods like Blue Band GoodStart.
- Fats are carriers of fat-soluble vitamins. Blue Band Goodstart is enriched with combinations of the following vitamins : A,D,E,B6,B12,Folic Acid and Naicin, making it the most fortified spreads available!
From our range
Spread for Bread Tub
BB Original Tub
Blue Band Original
spread for bread